Weaver, Richard Edwin, 1943- . Papers of Richard E. Weaver, Jr., 1970-1983: A Finding
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: II A-6
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Creator: Weaver, Richard Edwin, 1943-.
Title: Papers of Richard E. Weaver, Jr.,
Quantity: 0.22 linear feet (8 boxes)
The Richard E. Weaver, Jr. archival series was primarily organized by Richard E.Weaver,
Jr. Upon Weaver's departure from the Arnold Arboretum in 1983, he gave his files to
the Arnold Arboretum archives. The HOLLIS # for this collection is 000603229 and the
file name is ajp00027.
Processed by Sheila ConnorJune 1999
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
Richard Weaver, Jr. was born in Richland, Pennsylvania on July 6th, 1943. In 1965,
Weaver received his B.S. in Biology from Millersville State College in Millersville,
PA and his M.S. in Plant Taxonomy from Duke University. He continued studying botany
at Duke until 1971, earning his doctorate with the thesis, "Monographic studies in
the genus Lisianthius (Gentianaceae)."
On November 1st, 1970, while nearing the completion of his thesis, Weaver began his
work as a Horticultural Taxonomist/Assistant Curator for the Arnold Arboretum. He
worked under the director, Richard Howard, and alongside taxonomist, Stephen A. Spongberg
and horticulturalist Gary Koller. With Weaver and Spongberg on staff, the study of
ligneous genera of eastern North America and eastern Asia was revived.
As Assistant Curator, Weaver worked closely with the Living Collections, playing
a key role in shaping the grounds. One of his main duties was to respond to plant
information inquiries. He did so for the duration of his Arnold Arboretum tenure.
Weaver organized and carried out several plant collecting trips, the first to collect
tropical species in Columbia, South America from 1971 to 1972. He then collected in
Korea and Japan with Stephen A. Spongberg in 1977. He also taught many Arnold Arboretum
classes as well as Harvard University Summer School courses in plant taxonomy. . Here
he stayed until After he left the arboretum in 1983, Weaver and his partner, Rene
Duval, started the We-Du nursery in Marion, North Carolina. The nursery specialized
in wildflowers from eastern North America and eastern Asia, both areas of horticultural
interest to Weaver. In 1997 they sold the nursery and relocated to Puerto Rico where
they purchased a coffee finca.
The Richard E. Weaver, Jr. Papers and Correspondence Archival Series consists of 8
boxes. Weaver arranged the 108 folders alphabetically beginning with "A" in Box 1
to "Su" in Box 8. The collection includes manuscripts, corrspondence, plant lists,
and records of plant expeditions. The majority of the contents include plant information
regarding the Arnold Arboretum, R. Weaver's correspondence with colleagues and to
those with plant inquiries, and also Arboretum and Case Estate business and work notes.
Current version of this finding aid is available at the Archives of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University.
- BOX 1:
- Folder 1:. Acer in Arboretum:
- Ranks of botanical nomenclature for angiosperms
- Bessey classification system of the angiosperms
- Life cycle of an angiosperm and its taxonomic value
- Key to the most commonly cultivated species of maple.
- Folder 2:. Adams, C.D. Correspondence
D. Weaver and Dennis Adams, University of West Indies 8/8/67-7/11/69. Regarding Lisianthius
- Folder 3:. Aesthetics Group Minutes:
Minutes to Aesthetics and Style Group meetings. 2/4/1982; 2/18/1982; 2/25/1982; 3/23/1982;
3/25/1982. Memorandum from Sheila [Connor] Geary: 7/1/1982.
- Folder 4:. Annotation Labels: Herbarium labels for Arenaria sp.
- Folder 5:. Annual Report: Director's Report, 1982. Dick Weaver's annual report, 1980-1981.
- Folder 6:. Applications- Best: 1979 applications for Plant Information Coordinator.
- Folder 7:. Arnold Arboretum Activities:
- Correspondance between R. Wyganank, of Santiago, Chile and D. Weaver, May 15, 1978.
- Weaver's Poison Plant Walk.
- Southwest Corridor Orange Line Project Announcements, 1978.
- Folder 8:. Arnold Arboretum Newsletters.
Dated 12/1976; 12/1977; 1/1978; 2/1978; 3/1978; 4/1978.
- Folder 9:. Arboretum Business Current:
- Information on Boston Landmarks Commission, 1977.
- World Wildlife Conference: efforts to save endangered species, 1973.
- Pre-budget letter regarding the Arboretum, 1977.
- Rhodora publication information, 1976.
- "Facing the Future"- sponsored by Callaway Gardens, 1977.
- Exploring the Emerald Necklace, 1977.
- "To do" list regarding maintenance.
- Letter regarding Adams-Nervine property, 1977.
- Arboretum guidebook proposal.
- Plant list from Bovees Nursery, Portland, OR.
- Folder 10:. Arboretum Identifications and Collections:
- List of seeds received from Yunnan, China, 6/9/1976.
- Index of seeds received from Lushan, Kiangsi, China, 1974-1975.
- List of specimens for illustrations preserved in alcohol, 1975.
- China phytosanitary certificate, 3/31/1976.
- List of plants requested from Yunnan, China, 2/24/1976.
- Amelanchiers in the Arnold Arboretum.
- Changes in the Case Estates Nursery, 1976.
- Mislabelled plants- Caragana.
- Label checking system, 1976.
- Arrangement of Arnold Arboretum. Collection, plant list.
- Folder 11:. Arboretum Business:
- Herbarium Reports, 1974-1975, 1975-1976.
- Arnoldia. Articles by staff members, 1975-1977.
- A.A. library budget, 1974-1975.
- General Scientific bibliographies, 1975.
- Weaver's plant list and where and when plants were sent, 1971-1974.
- Rehder project statement of nature of research, 1975.
- S. A. Spongberg, C.V. 1975.
- Gray Herb. & A.A. combined library accessions list, 1975.
- Letter regarding A.A. booklet proposal, 1975.
- Stipulations regarding research appointments, 3/28/75.
- Letter to R. Howard regarding staff meeting, 3/3/76.
- List of topics for senior staff, 1976.
- Herbaria information sheet regarding collections, location, and loans, 1976.
- "Why leaves change color" by S. Reiner, 10/1974, Country Journal.
- R. Howard correspondence to K. Kindel, 6/26/1975.
- Article regarding Weaver's visit to Canary Islands.
- Reprints available from University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, 7/2/1975.
- Laura Eisener correspondence with R.Howard, 9/9/1975.
- 5 photographs & negatives- Copley Square., Queen Anne's Lace.
- Arboretum Notes from with plants of special interests; Arnoldia, Vol. 10, No. 7-9, 1950.
- Folder 12:. Arboretum Walks 1974-1976:
- Summary of proposal for arboretum guidebook.
- Seed dispersal walk; April walk.
- Notes on shrub collections walk.
- Plant list and major features for botanical walk.
- A.A. history; A.A. plant introductions.
- 19 trees and their life histories.
- Plant list (Abies to Zelkova).
- Hydrangea and Maple life histories.
- Administration building walk.
- Folder 13:. Arcto-Tertiary Path:
- Philip Hofer correspondence with P. Ashton regarding memorial to Frances Hofer, 5/12/81.
- P. Ashton correspondence with P. Hofer 5/27/81.
- Hand-drawn maps and plant list (& revisions) for an Arcto-Tertiary Garden.
- Folder 14:. Arnoldia Correspondence:
- Mermorandum from S. Spongberg to R. Weaver, 6/6/79.
- Weaver to M. Connelly regarding manuscript to be published in Arnoldia, 6/30/80.
- W. Bowden to R. Weaver 7/31/79, 12/19/79.
- List of issues, articles, finished manuscripts for Arnoldia, 1980.
- Barbara Epstein to Joy Martin, 4/28/80.
- Harriette Long to R. Weaver, 9/16/80.
- R. Weaver to F. McGourty, Jr., 1/22/80.
- M. Connelly to N. Batkin, 5/19/80.
- R. Weaver to M. Connelly, 5/28/80.
- R. Weaver to W. Bowden, 1/22/80.
- R. Weaver to J. Silba, 12/17/80.
- G. Koller to J. Silba, 12/15/80.
- J. Silba to G. Koller, 12/12/80.
- R. Weaver to P. Colverson, 3/3/81.
- W. J. Hamilton Jr. to R. Weaver, 3/5/81.
- B. Cowden to R. Weaver, 10/17/80.
- F. Lape to R. Weaver, 9/30/80.
- R.V. Kvaalen to R. Weaver, 4/23/82.
- W. Judd to R. Weaver, 6/30/82.
- J. Weigle to R. Weaver, 4/23/82.
- B. Hargreaves to R. Weaver, 10/26/81.
- O. L. Monquin to R. Weaver, 9/4/76.
- R. Weaver to O.L. Monquin, 9/21/76.
- Folder 15:. Arnoldia Editorial Committee:
- Editorial committee for Arnoldia. Minutes, 4/21/80.
- Arnoldia budget summaries from 1977-80, 5/2/80.
- Editorial committee for Arnoldia minutes, 2/6/80.
- Managing editor, N. Batkin reports on the evaluations and goals of the Arnoldia, 10/23/79.
- Folder 16:. Arnoldia Photographs:
- Arnoldia Photographs:
1. Elms on Bussey Hill, 2. Ulmus americana, 3. Ulmus glabra, 4. Ulmus laciniata, 5.
Ulmus japonica, 6. Ulmus glabra cutting, 7. Ulmus americana fruits.
- Witch-Hazel Family from Arnoldia, Vol. 36, No. 3, May/June 1976.
- "Sargent's Weeping Hemlock Reconsidered," by Peter Del Tredici.
- "Jack-in-the-Pulpit and the Aroids" by Leslie Spraker May.
- "The Arboretum" by Freddy Homburger, 10/10/79.
- "Flowering and Pollination Studies of Elms at the Arnold Arboretum" by Amar S. Hans.
- "Lead Levels in Urban Soil" by Donald Loggins and John Collins.
- "Semi-Wild Cape Cod Garden" by Mark Connelly.
- "A Spectacle with a Cast of Thousands" by Joseph Hudak.
- BOX 2:
- Folder 1:. Betula:
- Description and control of Bronze Birch Borer, Agrilus anxious.
- R. Weaver's notes on Betula.
- Birches to be disposed of, to be propagated, misnamed and doubtful of specimenhood.
- Bronze birch borer survey, Fall 1977.
- L. Mainquist to R. Weaver regarding bronze birch borer, 8/25/80.
- Folder 2:. Bibliography: 128 pages of bibliographic material, 2/23/1982.
- Folder 3:. Biographical Description:
- Biographical Description:
From Box 1F-1 R. Weaver, C.V., 1973, 1976 (6 copies ), 1979.
- Harvard Univ. appointment form, 7/6/1976, 5/13/1983.
- Correspondence to and from R. Weaver and P.S. Ashton, 8/13/1983 and 8/19/1982.
- Letter from D.J. Wallace to Mary Marquebreuck, 8/4/1982.
- Letters from P.S. Ashton to R. Weaver.
Dated 6/21/1982, 8/6/1981, 6/16/1982, 6/2/1980, 4/5/1979.
- Salary increase form, 5/15/1981.
- Letter from R.A. Howard to J.T. Dunlop, 8/28/1972.
- Letters from R. Weaver to R.A. Howard.
Dated 8/28/1972, 3/3/1976, 1/2/1974, 10/13/1970, 5/25/1970, 4/14/1970, 9/16/1970.
- Letters from R.A. Howard to R.Weaver.
Dated 6/30/1978, 6/29/1977, 7/6/1976, 6/23/1975, 7/30/1974, 6/29/1973, 7/26/1972,
6/25/1971, 5/29/1970, 5/6/1970, 4/24/1970, 4/9/1970, 9/23/1970.
- Letter from R.A. Howard to Lee Anne Chaney, 5/10/1978.
- Letter from Henry Rosovsky to R.A. Howard, 2/11/1976.
- Nomination for R. Weaver's membership into Sigma Xi, 1/10/1974.
- Itinerary to Venezuela and Columbia, 1972.
- Letter to and from R.A. Howard and John C. McKinney, 10/21/1970, 10/14/1970.
- "The Arenarias of the southeastern granitic flat-rocks," by R.Weaver.
Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club, 97(1): 40-52, Jan-Feb. 1970.
- Folder 4:. Biology Exam: Hour examination- Biology S-109.
- Folder 5:. Birds in Arboretum:
- "Birds and Mammals in the Arboretum" by C. S. Sargent
In "A Guide to the Arnold Arboretum." Bird list with species and common name.
- Birds which have ceased to be and those which have become breeding residents since
- Birds becoming more common and those seen only once since 1939.
- Christmas bird count at the A.A.1/2/71 by Miss Miriam Dickey.
- Birds seen 2/6/71; Permanent res, winter visitants and res, Dec, Jan, Feb 1899-1900.
- Birds nested in 1968, 69, 70.
- Breeding residents of 1895 vs. 1968.
- R. Weaver's notes on birds, 1971.
- List of birds seen in the A.A. by members of the Children's Museum Bird Club, 1939---.
- Folder 6:. Breedlove, D. - Correspondence: D.E. Breedlove to R. Weaver, 4/28/69 and 5/13/69.
- Folder 7:. Case Estate Plants:
- Printout of Spring planting list from the Case Estates.
From J. Hicks to R. Weaver and G. Koller, 4/4/83.
- Plants to be removed, transferred, deleted from permanent listings,
moved out of greenhouse nurseries, or moved from Case Estate Nurseries, Spring - 1978.
- Perennial garden of the C.E.; Excess plants, 4/10/79.
- Folder 8:. Catalogs:
- Lily bulbs from Yokohama Nursery Co., Japan.
- Forest Farm, Williams, Oregon.
- Washington Park Arboretum, 2/8/82.
- Orchid and rock garden (4/1/74) correspondences.
- Folder 9:. City Weeds: Manuscript; two illustrations.
- Folder 10:. Classes:
- Plant names and their derivatives from Berzelia to Piaradena.
- List of fall planted bulbs.
- List of trees and shrubs for attracting birds.
- Registration lists, outlines, and handouts for A.A. plant courses taught by R. Weaver.
- Folder 11:. Correspondence:
- Tord E. Svenson, New England Rose Society to P. Ashton, 2/13/80.
- J. Ewan, Dept. of Biology, Tulane Univ. to R. Weaver, 9/21/82, 9/9/82.
- J. Prescott, N.E. Aquarium to P. Ashton, 11/24/80.
- T. Watson, Christom Farms Nursery, WI to R. Weaver, 1/6/83.
- R Weaver to A. Cleef, Netherlands, 7/26/82.
- Various newsletters and reports.
- P. Campbell to R. Weaver, 11/14/81.
- P. Maas, Utrecht, Denmark to R. Weaver, 11/24/81.
- Membership list of the Boston Horticultural Club, 1983.
- D.L. Jacobs, Eco Gardens, GA to S.A. Spongberg, 3/19/82.
- S.A. Spongberg to D.L. Jacobs, 4/8/82.
- R. Weaver to P. Dalton, 6/25/80.
- R.Weaver to Ray and Peg Prag, 5/28/80.
- R. Weaver to Gail Heinz, 6/30/80.
- P. Dalton to R. Weaver, 6/10/80.
- T. Elias to R. Weaver, 3/4/80.
- R. Weaver to T. Elias, 2/4/80.
- R. Weaver to H. Rosovsky, 2/5/80.
- R. Weaver to E. C. Pyle, 10/2/79.
- E.C. Pyle to R. Weaver, 9/15/79.
- T. Elias to R. Weaver, 7/15/80.
- T. Elias to R. Weaver, 12/27/79.
- M. Connelly to R. Weaver, 6/9/80.
- Mr. & Mrs. Douglas Campbell to P. Ashton, 5/31/79.
- R. Weaver to Mrs. Douglas Campbell, 6/1/79.
- R. Shultes to P. Ashton, 6/29/79.
- R. Weaver to R. Shultes, 7/10/79.
- E.C. Pyle to R. Weaver, 10/8/79.
- H.B. Engley to R. Weaver, 1/27/81.
- Ruth P. Cunningham to P. Ashton, 4/29/80(?).
- S. Rawlins to G. Koller, 5/31/80.
- Gene Eisenbeiss to G. Koller, 2/14/80.
- R. Weaver to Pierre Bennerup, 7/29/81.
- Connie Lilly to R. Weaver, 8/6/81.
- R. Weaver to C.D. Brickell, 7/2/81.
- H. Thurston Handley, Jr. to R. Weaver, 11/13/81.
- W.L. Culberson to R. Weaver, 3/10/82.
- C.K. Engle to Ann Kearton, 9/1/82.
- Thomas Whitaker to R. Weaver, 11/12/82.
- Agustin Edwards to R. Weaver, 11/6/81.
- Ron Jonson to R. Weaver, 12/21/81.
- Katsuhiko Kondo, Hiroshima University to R. Weaver, 11/11/82.
- H. Epstein to R. Weaver, 7/26/82.
- R. Weaver to Robert Williams, 9/11/81.
- R Weaver to Antoine Cleef, Utrecht, Netherlands, 8/9/82.
- Michael Lambert to R. Weaver, 8/15/82.
- Antoine Cleef to R. Weaver, 7/5/82.
- J. Kuser to Betsy Schmidt, 5/20/82.
- R. Weaver to Olivia Buell, 8/4/80.
- J. Kuser to Carl Lobig, 5/4/81.
- Owen Rogers to G. Koller, 10/15/82 R. Weaver to Mr./Mrs. R. Mackintosh, 10/28/80.
- G. Koller to R.F. Gundersen, 8/18/80.
- R.F. Gundersen to G. Koller, 8/12/80.
- Michael Kreyling to Ms. Shmidt, 6/18/80.
- Michael Kreyling to Ms. E.B. Schmidt, 6/1/81.
- E.B. Schmidt to M. Kreyling, 6/5/81.
- Pierre Bennerup to R. Weaver, 8/8/80.
- Olivia Buehl to Norton Batkin, 7/22/80.
- N. Batkin to O. Buehl, 7/25/80.
- Winifred L. Medauer to R. Weaver, 8/18/80.
- Walter Judd to R. Weaver, 9/22/80.
- Peter Raven to R. Weaver, 10/17/80.
- Getulic Agostini to R. Weaver, 11/20/80.
- Michael Johnson to R. Howard, 1/30/81.
- R. Weaver to Annette Logan, 2/23/81.
- Marion F. Merullo to R. Weaver, 1/16/81.
- R. Weaver to Marion Merullo, 2/18/81.
- Michael Heger to R. Weaver, 1/20/81.
- R. Weaver to Paolo DeLuca, 1/26/81.
- S. R. Paul, National Botanical Research Inst., Lucknow, India to R. Weaver, 11/20/80.
- R. Weaver to Mr. Pearson, 1/21/81.
- Peter Colverson and Mike Freed to R. Weaver, 2/24/81.
- R. Weaver to Roy Lancaster, 2/5/81.
- Dale Herman, ND St. Univ. to R. Weaver, 2/10/81.
- Western Kentucky Univ. Agriculture 475A & 475G, Advanced Landscape Plants course description.
- Folder 12:. Colonial Williamsburg and William & Mary:
Plant lists, 5/1/73; Stephen Spongberg to J.T. Baldwin, Alden Eaton, R. Mahone, and
Robert McCartney, 5/30/73; Alden Eaton to S.A. Spongberg, 4/16/73; S.A. Spongberg
to Alden Eaton, 4/10/73.
- BOX 3:
- Folder 1:. Correspondence - 1972
- Holiday cards.
D. Porter to R. Weaver, 12/17/71; R. Weaver to Earl Werner, 12/16/71; R. Weaver to
Bassett Maguire, 1/5/71; R. Weaver to S. Nilsson, 1/5/72; Piet C. de Jong to R. Weaver,
1/6/72; Chris Puff to R. Weaver, 1/10/72.
- Elizabeth Bartholomew to Appalachian Botanical Club, 1/18/72.
- R. Weaver to Chris Pugg, 1/19/72.
- Peter Raven to R. Weaver, 1/25/72.
- R. Weaver to S. Nilsson, 1/28/72.
- S. Nilsson to R. Weaver, 2/1/72.
- B. Kiltz to R. Weaver, 2/29/72.
- Toshimasa Tanai to Gordon Dewolf, 3/11/72.
- S. Nilsson to R. Weaver, 3/15/72.
- Chris Puff to R. Weaver, 3/27/72.
- H. Weiner to R. Weaver, 2/29/72.
- R. Weaver to H. Weiner, 4/5/72.
- R. Weir III to D. Wyman, 4/10/72.
- R. Weaver to Jesus Idrobe, Bogota, Colombia, 4/14/72.
- R. Weaver to Oleg Polunin, 4/18/72.
- Oleg Polunin to R. Weaver, 4/26/72.
- J. Clausen to R. Weaver, 4/27/72.
- Chris Puff to R. Weaver, 5/24/72.
- R. Weaver to Chris Puff, 5/30/72.
- Stephen Maskel to R. Weaver, 6/5/72.
- S. Nilsson to R. Weaver, 6/3/72.
- Chris Puff to R. Weaver, 6/17/72, 7/1/72.
- Jim Luteyn to R. Weaver, 8/6/72.
- Chris Puff to R.Weaver, 8/8/72.
- R. Wilbur to R. Weaver, summer '72.
- R. Weaver to Tor Nitzelius, 9/15/72.
- Andre Robyns to R. Weaver, 11/16/72.
- Patricia Holmgren to Lorin Nevling, 11/27/72.
- Bassett Maquire to R. Weaver, 11/27/72.
- R. Weaver to Robert Wilbur, 11/30/72.
- R. Weaver to Louis Williams, 11/30/72.
- R. Weaver to Bassatt Maguire, 12/4/72.
- Francis Wolfe to R. Weaver, 12/4/72.
- Paul Maas to R. Weaver, 4/12/72.
- Tor Nitzelius to R. Weaver, 12/10/71.
- P.B. Tomlinson to R. Weaver, 12/14/72.
- R. Weaver to P. Maas, 12/14/72.
- S. Nilsson to R. Weaver, 12/27/71.
- R. Weaver to Bassett Maguire, 12/29/72.
- Informal letters from Jim Luteyn and Kate & Howard.
- Folder 2:. Correspondence - 1975
- Richard Roberts to R. Weaver (?), 1/2/75.
- Frances Maronelli to R. Weaver, 1/17/75.
- R. Roberts to R. Weaver, 1/23/75.
- P. Maas to P. Ashton, 1/31/75.
- Julian Steyermark to R. Weaver, 2/3/75.
- Abdul Ghafoor to R. Weaver, 2/25/75.
- Bassett Maguire to R. Weaver, 3/8/75.
- J.A. Mars to R. Weaver, 3/10/75.
- Bassett Maguire to Julian Steyermark, 3/19/75.
- Nancy Page author questionnaire, 3/27/75.
- Nancy Page to R. Weaver, 3/27/75.
- Bassett Maguire to R. Weaver, 3/31/75.
- T.C. Whitmore to R. Weaver, 5/8/75.
- E.L. Cavallari to Sheila Geary, 5/26/75.
- Bassett Maguire to R. Weaver, 5/28/74.
- S. Nilsson to R. Weaver, 6/10/75.
- D. Stone to R. Weaver, 6/26/75.
- Joan Hanas to R Weaver, 6/29/75.
- T.R. Dudley to R. Weaver, 7/8/75.
- Mason Hale, Jr. to R. Weaver, 7/23/75.
- Laurie Norris to R. Weaver, 7/25/75.
- P. Maas to R. Weaver, 8/1/75.
- John Braxton to R. Weaver, 8/1/75.
- R. Weaver to Mason Hale, 8/7/75.
- T.R. Dudley to R. Weaver, 8/12/75.
- M. Haase to R Weaver, 8/31/75.
- Robert Brown to R. Weaver, 9/1/75.
- Patricia Homgren to R. Weaver, 9/3/75.
- David Allen to R. Weaver, 9/10/75.
- S. Cabot to Nancy Page, 9/12/74.
- Ernest H. Wilson to inquiries, 9/22/75.
- Jamie Stephenson to A.A. librarian, 9/23/75.
- J.C. McDaniel to Nancy Page, 9/24/74.
- Edward Gruson to R. Weaver, 9/28/74.
- G. Harvais to R. Wever, 9/29/75.
- T.R. Dudley to R. Weaver, 10/9/75.
- B. Ruthsatz to R. Weaver, 10/15/75.
- Nancy Page to R. Weaver, 10/12/74.
- D. Femrite to all at A.A., 10/21/75.
- Frederick McGourty, Jr. to R. Weaver, 10/24/75.
- Harriet Hughes 11/10/75,
John Glosky 11/12/75, P. Guinness 11/14/75, G. Erikson 12/4/75 - inquiries.
- Bassett Maguire to R. Weaver, 11/26/74.
- Folder 3:. Correspondence - 1976. Inquiries (approximately 50)
- Informal letter from Jim Luteyn 4/14/76.
- Nancy Ellis to R. Weaver, 5/6/76.
- M.A. Dirr to R. Weaver, 7/22/76.
- Folder 4:. Correspondence - 1971, 1974, 1977, 1978. Inquiries.
- Personal letters from L. Loope, 2/22/71, Kate and Howard 9/18/71, David Weaver 3/11/71.
- R. Weaver to Francis Wolfe, 11/5/71.
- Robert Wilbur to R. Weaver, 11/17/71.
- Publications of Duke Univ. Botany Faculty, 10/25/71, through 1969, including R Wilbur.
- A.R. Hodgdon to R. Weaver, 9/12/73.
- Bassett Maguire to R. Weaver, 5/14/74, 7/19/74, 8/7/74, 12/6/74.
- R. Weaver to Bassett Maguire, 12/3/74.
- R. Weaver to Carl F. Miller, 1/28/77.
- R. Weaver to P. Maas, 12/13/77.
- Chris Puff to R. Weaver, 11/21/71.
- P. Maas to R. Weaver, 9/18/78.
- "Studies on the epidermis of recent and fossil fruits of carpinus and ostrya and its
significance in the systematics and history of these genera."
by Janina Jentys-Szaferowa, Acta Paleobotanica, vol. XVI no.1, pp.3-70, 1975; Acta Paleobotanica, vol.VIII, no.3, 1967.
- Folder 5:. Corylopsis:
- "Cytology and Palynology in Corylopsis and Some Related Genera" by William Buikema,
- "Corylopseos specierum diversarum analyses"
in Hooker's Icones Plantarum: Figures and descriptive characters and remarks, of new
and rare plants, selected from Kew Herbarium, Fourth Series, vol. IX, pt.1, 1909.
- "Plantae Wilsonianae: An enumberation of the woody plants collected in western china
for the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University.
During the years 1907, 1908, and 1910" by E. H. Wilson, edited by C.S. Sargent, Vol.1,
- "Corylopsis veitchiana: Central China" from Curtis's Botanical Magazine, vol.VI, 1910.
- Memo re: Sino-American Botanical Expedition Bounty, 1/22/81.
- Roy Lancaster to R. Weaver, 1981 (?).
- Folder 6:. Discovery of Blakea Gracilis "Discovery of Blakea Gracilis" by Barbara O. Epstein.
- Folder 7:. Dr. Spongberg's Project:
"Plants in the living collections of the Arnold Arboretum of documented, wild, asiatic
origin-- arranged by collector," compiled by S.A. Spongberg.
- Folder 8:. Elms:
- "Chapters on the genetic improvement of Elms"
by Hans M. Heybroek, from Better Trees for Metropolitan landscapes symposium proceedings,
USDA Forest Serv. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-22 1976.
- "The Elms of the Himalayas" by R. Melville and H.M. Heybroek, from Kew Bulletin, vol. 26(1), 1971.
- "Mini-monograph on elms in agroforestry" by H.M. Heybroek.
From the Technical Consultation on Fast-growing plantation broadleaved trees for mediterranean
and temperate zones, Lisbon, Portugal, 16-20 October, 1979.
- "The Japanese Elm species and their value for the dutch elm breeding programme" by
Hans M. Heybroek.
From the Manuscript for the proceedings of the Sumposium and Workshop on Dutch Elm
Disease, Winnipeg, Canada, 5-9 x 1981.
- "Resistent Elms for Europe" by H.M. Heybroek.
From Manuscript for the Proceedings of the EEC Dutch Elm Disease Seminar Guernsey,
29 III - 1 IV 1982.
- Folder 9:
- Ewan, Joseph Ewan to R. Weaver, 1/29/71.
- Order form for Joseph and Nesta Ewan's book, John Banister and His Natural History
of Virginia, 1678-1692.
- R. Weaver to J. Ewan, 1/12/71.
- Folder 10:. Flora of Case Estates
20 copies of Case Estates plant list (48 names), Agrimonia gryosepala to Viccia angustifolia.
- Folder 11:. Food Plants: Shiu-ying's list of food plants (36 pages).
- Folder 12:. For Soonest Reply:
- Landscape architect services.
- Arnold Arboretum interpretive guide proposal, 7/1/81.
- Inquiries; Potential Arnoldia articles.
- List of Japan-Korea collections to be held for observation.
- Tabulation of Plant Families from the Holden Arboretum, rev. 3/28/73.
- Folder 13:. Friends - Expense Figures
Income from Friends' donations and services rendered, fiscal year-- 1977-1978; Membership,
- Folder 14:. Gentianaceae - Literature:
- R. Weaver's Arnoldia manuscript on Gentians.
- "A Revision of the Neotropical Genus Lisianthius (Gentianaceae)," by R.E. Weaver,
Reprinted from Journal of the Arnold Arboretum, Vol. 53, No. 1, 2, and 3, Jan., Apr., and July, 1972.
- Inquiries; List of Gentianaceae loaned to R. Weaver by the Botanisch Museum en Herbarium
van de Rijksuniversiteit, Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Folder 15:. Grounds Maintenance: Information regarding the publication, Grounds Maintenance.
- BOX 4:
- Folder 1:. Hamamelis:
- Gardeners Chronicle articles (1970s) regarding Hamamelis.
- 12 inquiries regarding Hamamelis with responses from R. Weaver.
- Folder 2:. E. Heins: Biographic sketch; List of completed and unfinished watercolor plates.
- Folder 3:. Identification Responses 1973-1974:
72 inquiries regarding plant specimens, their type, habit, and locality.
- Folder 4:. Identification Responses:
35 inquiries and their responses, 1971-1973.
- Folder 5:. Identification Responses:
21 inquiries and their responses, 1972; Three letters dated 1976.
- Folder 6:. Plant I.D:
152 plant identification inquiries and their replies from R. Weaver.
- Folder 7:. Plant I.D:
153 plant identification inquiries and their replies from R. Weaver.
- BOX 5:
- Folder 1:. Fall 1979: 7 miscellaneous inquiries and their replies from R. Weaver.
- Folder 2:. Jadidi - Mercer Fellow.
2 letters regarding M.N. Jadidi's Mercer Fellowship.
- Folder 3:. 1976 Inquiries:
20 inquiries and their replies from R. Weaver.
- Folder 4:. 1977 Inquiries:
14 inquiries and their replies from R. Weaver; April through October, 1977, calendars
for events at the Case Estates.
- Folder 5:. Japan and Korea:
- 15 letters to Japan from S.A. Spongberg regarding his trip with R. Weaver.
- 10 correspondences to and from R. Weaver.
Names and addresses of those visited in Japan by S.A. Spongberg and R. Weaver.
- Folder 6:. 1978 Inquiries:
- 1978 Inquiries:
84 inquires and their replies from R. Weaver.
- Student research information for summer 1978.
- Outline, schedule, and grades for summer trainees, 1978.
- Folder 7:. Jenne, Trudy. Correspondence regarding nomenclature.
- Folder 8:. Job Description:
R.E. Weaver Jr.'s job description; Role, program, and goals of the A.A., April, 1971.
- Folder 9:. Korean Trip 1977:
- Korean Trip 1977:
16 correspondences, spring/summer 1977.
- Collecting permit information.
- "The Characteristics and affinities of Chinese Flora"
by H.H. Hu, reprinted from Bulletin of the Chinese Botanical Society, Vol. II, No.2, Dec. 1936.
- "Contributions to the Study of Variations in the Japanese Plants closely related to
those of Europe or North America. Part 2," by Hiroshi Hara.
Journal of the Faculty of Science, Univ. of Tokyo, Section III, Botany, Vol. VI, Part 7, 1956.
- Article regarding geology, written in Japenese.
- Folder 10:. Legal: 3 letters regarding lawsuit involving Thomas Lanzillo, spring 1978.
- Folder 11:. Lesser Antilles: Plant families and their traits.
- Folder 12:. Liberty Tree Notes:
Pamphlets, an article, and correspondence regarding the Liberty Tree, St. John's College,
Annapolis, Maryland, 1977.
- Folder 13:. Living Collections Plant Lists:
- Living Collections Plant Lists:
Plant list of plants collected by R. Weaver, 1979.
- List of nursery plants requiring observation in 1979.
- Propagation List- spring 1978.
- Nursery Plants to be identified in 1978.
- List of plants to be added to live files and computer print-out, April, 1978.
- Woody plants not currently included in the Living Collections of the A.A., 1977.
- List of plants in the living collections of the A.A. of documented, wild, asiatic
Arranged by collector.
- Combined list of exotic, landscape, and native plants- guidebook project- April 1983.
- Key to the most common genera of composites in the fall flora of the A.A..
- 1922 article from the Journal of the A.A., "Sargent , First fifty years of the Arnold Arboretum"
- Folder 14:. Living Collections Committee:
Committee meeting memorandums, minutes, notes, 1979, 1980; Proposal for Philadelphus
- Folder 15:. Lyonia: "Lyonia: a group of horticulturally overlooked ericads," by R.Weaver.
- Folder 16: Magnolia fraseri: Article by R. Weaver Jr. regarding Magnolia fraseri.
- Folder 17:. Magnolia salicifolia: "Magnolia salicifolia- An Arboretum Introduction," by S.A. Spongberg.
- Folder 18:. Magnolia 'silver parasol': "'Silver Parasol' -- A New Magnolia Cultivar," by R.E.
Weaver & S.A. Spongberg.
- Folder 19:. Umbrella Magnolia:
Journal articles regarding Magnolia fraseri, 1979; Drafts of R. Weaver's article on
- Folder 20:. Magnolia virginiana: "Magnolia virginiana in Massachusetts."
by Peter Del Tredici; Part I History, "Its History and Seed Germination."
- Folder 21:. Manuals: Manuals for stereoscopic microscope and professional type illuminators.
- Folder 22:. Memos:
- From R. Weaver to sign committee, 7/16/1981.
- To Botanical faculty, Harvard Univ. from sirs at Harvard Forest.
Regarding vegetation maps available from Botanical Institute in Toulouse, France,
- BOX 6:
- Folder 1:. Articles:
- "Unusual Cytological Patterns in Pollen Mother Cells of Camelia in Cultivated Populations."
by Katsuhiko Kondo, Michiharu Segawa, and C. R Parks, reprinted from Japan J. Breed,
vol. 28, no. 1 (1978).
- "Two New Lichens (Ramalina) from Baja California, Mexico."
Reprinted from The Bryologist, vol. 76, no.1, Spring 1973, pp.211-213.
- "The Status of Ramalina subampliata (NYL.) Fink. in North America."
by Bowler, P. and Phillip W. Rundel, reprinted fom Rhodora, vol. 75, 802, 1973.
- "The Relationship between basal fire scars and crown damage in giant sequoia."
by Philip W. Rundel, reprinted from Ecology, vol.54, no.1, winter 1973.
- "Cyclamen cherry heralds Spring" by G.L. Koller.
- List of New Jersey's biggest trees, by Santiago Porcella, 1970s.
- "Growth-patterns in woody plants with special reference to the genus Viburnum," by
- Folder 2:. Nilsson, Siwert - Correspondence:
- 16 letters from S. Nilsson to R. Weaver, 1968-1970.
- List of Lisianthus L., Cheolonanthus (Griseb.) Gilg., Calolisianthus (Griseb.) Gilg.,
- List of polliniferous material of the following species that would be desirable if
- List of Desiderata; Specimens of Lisianthus already studied; List of Desiderata- Lisianthus
- Folder 3:. Oak Path: Maps, proposed expenditure information for restoration of Oak Path, Oak
- Folder 4:. Photographs:
- Photographs and negatives of plant material
One photograph of exploring group (including S.A. Spongberg and R.A. Weaver) in Japan.
- From Box 1F- 1. R.A. Howard with R.E. Weaver, 1970s.
- R. Weaver and Arboretum clases, 1970s.
- Negative sheet with pictures of R. Weaver and the A.A. grounds.
- Folder 5:. Physocarpus - Nancye Henkle Physocarpus.
Key to species, bibliography, and synonym list, July, 1977.
- Folder 6:. Plant Acquisitions:
- Bronze birch borer survey, Aug. 3 & 4, 1977.
- 12 letters regarding plant sales to the A.A., 1979.
- List of collections made by R. Weaver in the southeastern U.S.A., April 1979, in Japan
- Letter from E. Bretichneider to C.S. Sargent regarding Asian plants, 10/30/1893.
- List of families, selected woody plant species, Bentham and Hooker arrangement.
- List of Native American perennials for Weston.
- Plant introduction list of E.H. Wilson.
- Plants collected by J. Rock, entered in the Dead File.
Taxa no longer in our collections, compiled March 1976.
- List of AA plant intro into the U.S.
A.A., cards no longer in living file, Feb. 1976.
- Birches which have been checked and are true to name.
- List of Japanese and Korean seeds germinated as of 16 Feb. 1978.
- Folder 7:. Plant Collecting Trips:
- Plant collections (108 total) - September, 1979 - R. Weaver, J. Nickerson.
- Memorandum regarding Accessions from St. Louis Propagators' meeting, 1/25/1980.
- List of plant materials collected in California by Robert Nicholson.
- Folder 8:. Plant Diseases:
Articles regarding pest control and eradication, including the Clearwing Borer.
- Folder 9:. Plant Lists - Arboretum:
- "Some newly- published cultivars of Japanese plants at Brookside Gardens" by B.R.
Yinger and C.R. Hahn.
- Plant list from the Denver Botanic Gardens, 1/4/82.
- Winterthur plant list, DE.
- Accession list of the Missouri Botanical Garden Library, Aug., 1979.
- Folder 10:. Plant Orders: 31 plant order receipts, 1979-1981.
- Folder 11:. Plantings - Case Estates:
- List of plants presently growing in the American section of the perennial garden at
the Case Estates.
- Plants to be considered for inclusion in the American section of the perennial garden
at the C.S.E..
- Native American perennials to be considered for the perennial garden in Weston.
- Ground cover recommendations by James Burrows, Spring, 1980.
- Folder 12:. Plantings - Jamaica Plain:
- Planting list - Weston, Spring, 1982.
- Planting list from Case Estates nurseries, Spring, 1982.
- Additions to planting list from East G.H. Nursery to J.P. grounds, spring, 1982.
- Transplanting list - Fall 1982.
- Collection list and map of the A.A., 1982.
- Memorandum regarding plants recommended for removal, Fall, 1979.
- Proposal for plantings in the greenhouse area; Proposal for Philadelphus collection.
- Folder 13:. Plantings for J.P:
- "Section I, Completing the collections."
- 1982 Annual Report, submitted by R. Weaver, Jr..
- Planting list, Fall, 1979 - a summary.
- Fall and Spring planting list - 1982, from CE to JP.
- Fall planting list, 1981; Plants moved from shrub collection - Fall 1981
- Folder 14:. Planting - Spring, 1979:
- Memorandum regarding long-term topics for discussion for Living Collections Committee.
- Plant list for Case Estates, 1977.
- List of wild collections, cultivars, AA replacements.
- Folder 15:. Planting List:
- Status of 1977 Japanese- Korean collections as of 10 April 1981.
- Plants moved from shrub collection - Spring, 1981.
- Planting list - Spring, 1981.
- Plan of tree peony planting in Cytisus bed on Bussey Hill.
- Disposition of plants in East Nursery, Case Estates-- Fall, 1979.
- Plants from 100s of CE for JP, Fall, 1979.
- Memorandum regarding unverified cultivar names, 9/10/79.
- Draft of plants to be added to the living collections of the AA, Fall, 1979 by J.
Hicks; Removal list #2, Fall, 1979.
- Planted and mulched, and watered, 9/11/1979.
- Crataegus- Spring 1980 planting list - by series.
- Planting list - Fall, 1979 - plants from West Nursery.
- Disposition of plants in west nursery, JP, Fall, 1979.
- Philadelphus planted 6/11/1980.
- List of bamboos to be planted.
- Spring planting list, CE, 1980.
- Spring 1980- CE 100's to JP Grounds.
- Plants added to the living collections, Fall, 1979.
- Philadelphus collection inventory, Fall, 1979.
- Planting list JP - Spring, 1979:
JP, Part 3, Centre St. to Peter's Hill, Part 2-- Ponds to Bussey Hill, to be moved
to anther location, Part 1-- Administration building and azalea border.
- Plants to be removed from the permanent collections, Spring - 1979.
- Plant information coordinator position information.
- New plantings and restoration of the collections, 1982-1983.
- 1983 Spring planting list.
- Planting list- spring 1982.
- Folder 16:. Poisonous Plants: 8 inquiries and their replies from R. Weaver regarding poisonous
- Folder 17:. Preservation/Endangered:
- Articles regarding endangered areas, wildlife, and wild plants, 1977.
- One letter from Polly Wakefield.
- BOX 7:
- Folder 1:. Read, R.W. "Chromosome Numbers in the Coryphoideae." by R.W. Read.
from Cytologia, International Journal of Cytology, V.30, no.4, pp.385-391, 12/25/1965.
- Folder 2:. Resumes: 6 letters and resumes (1974-1979).
Regarding various A.A. positions, including resume and letter of recommendation for
Peter Del Tredici, 1979.
- Folder 3:. Seeds - Correspondence:
24 letters and inquiries regarding seeds, 1973-1982. Article titled, "On the germination
of seeds of Comptonia peregrina, the sweet fern," by P.D. Tredici and J.G. Torrey,
from Bot. Gaz, Vol.137, no.2; 262-268, 1976.
- Folder 4:. Seeds - Orient Expeditions:
- List of seeds collected in Japan, 9/4/1977.
- List of Japan-Korea seedlings potted 5/10/1978.
- List of Japanese and Korean seeds germinated 2/16/1978.
- List of seeds collected on the F. Ludlow and G. Sherriff expedition, S.E. Tibet, 1947.
- List of Japanese-Korean plants to be held for observation.
- List of miscellaneous seeds- 1980 Sino-American Botanical Expedition.
- List of seeds for distribution collected in China, 9/21/1981.
- List of excess seeds from Japan and Korea.
- Two inquiries to R. Weaver, 1977 and 1979.
- Folder 5:. Site Design and Construction Detail: Chapter 6 titled, "Steps and Ramps."
From the book Site Design and Construction Detailing, by Theodore D. Walker, Purdue
University, from PDA publishers.
- Folder 6:. South America Trip "Cytotaxonomic notes on some neotropical gentianaceae" by R.E.
From Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard., 56:439-443. 1969. Correspondence regarding tropical
botany travel grants, R.E. Weaver's preparations to go to Columbia, South America,
and his report to Dr. P.B. Tomlinson, 1971-1972.
- Folder 7:. Staphlyeaceae:
Letters, articles, plant lists of specimens in the arboretum, and R. Weaver's data
- all regarding different species of Staphyleaceae, 1972.
- Folder 8:. Stearn, W.T., Correspondence:
5 letters between W.T. Stearn and R. Weaver regarding Lisianthus, 1968-1969.
- Folder 9:. Stronghold: 3 letters regarding Stronghold, Inc.
Chestnut programs,1970-1976. Sugarloaf Moutain newsletter by Stronghold, Inc. regarding
Chestnut preservation, Vol. 1, 7 (1975), 8 (1976).
- Folder 10:. Studies on Cathaya Communities: 11 pages of text titled, " Studies on the Cathaya
- Folder 11:. Summer School Administrative information
for R. Weaver's 1973 summer school course, Biology S-109, "Taxonomy of Cultivated
- BOX 8:
- Folder 1:. Summer Trainees - accepted 1978:
Information and correspondence regarding trainee applications and acceptance.
- Folder 2:. Summer Trainees - regrets 1978:
Information and correspondence to those not accepted to the summer trainee program,
- Folder 3:. Urban Gardening "Proposed Demonstration Project for the Revegetation of Urban Vacant
Boston Redevelopment Authority in cooperation with Boston Urban Gardeners, March,
1978. Design considerations for the Southwest Corridor Project, 1977. List of plants
"showing great promise for revegetating vacant lots in northeast urban areas."
- Folder 4:. Vandalism: Information regarding vandalism, 1978.
- Folder 5:. Vertebrates in Arboretum: List of the most common vertebrate animals in the A.A.
- Folder 6:. Weaver, Richard E. - Richard E. Weaver business cards with Chinese version on back.
- Folder 7:. Wood, C.E. - Correspondence
5 letters between Carroll E. Wood, Jr. and R. Weaver, 1967.
- Folder 8:. Maps of Arboretum: 11 large folded maps of the A.A.