Massachusetts Horticultural Society. Records of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society,
1940-2002: A Finding Aid
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: VI MHS
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Creator: Massachusetts Historical
Title: Records of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society,
Quantity: 2 boxes
The majority of the records were acquired during Donald Wyman's tenure. The more recent material was deposited in the archives through the office
of the director. The HOLLIS # for this collection is 009139898 and the file name is
Processed by Sheila Connor, Archivist
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
The Arnold Arboretum has had a long association with its sister institution the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. However, it was during Donald Wyman's (1904-1993) tenure as Horticulturist of the Arnold Arboretum which lasted from 1935 to 1969, that the relationship flourished. In addition to his
being a Trustee of the Society, Wyman also served on many of the Society's committees.
The various Prize Committees required visiting many Massachusetts' estates and gardens
and these visits were often documented through photographs taken by Wyman. Many images
of the award winning Massachusetts gardens can be found in the photographic Archives
under Arboreta, Gardens, Parks, USA, Massachusetts.
Most of the material consists of records and minutes of various committee meetings.
While the earliest records in the collection cover the years 1939 and 1940, and there
is some material from the 1970s and 80s. The bulk of the records span the 1960s.
The collection is organized into the following five series:
Series I: Prize Committee
Series II: Committee on Exhibitions
Series III: Awards Committee
Series IV: Meeting Notes of Trustee
Series V: MHS -General
- Series: I Prize Committee
- Folder 1 -. Rule Books, Misc. Booklets, Letters of responsibility.
- Folder 2 -. Committee Meeting Notes 1940. Joint Meeting with Exhibitions 1940.
- Folder 3 -. Harvest and Flower Show - Booklets, Judge List, 1967-1969.
- Folder 4 -. Meeting, Members List, 1967-1969.
- Folder 5 -. Rose Show - Booklets, Judge List, 1967-1969.
- Folder 6 -. Spring Flower Show - Booklets, Judge List, 1968-1970.
- Folder 7 -. Camellia Show - Booklets, Judge List, 1969-1970.
- Series: II Committee on Exhibitions
- Folder 1 -. Committee Meeting Notes, 1939.
- Folder 2 -. Committee Meeting Notes, 1940.
- Series: III Awards Committee
- Folder 1 -. Historical List of MHS Awards.
- Folder 2 -. Trophy Catalog.
- Folder 3 -. Nomination List for Awards, 1966.
- Folder 4 -. Meeting Notes, 1967-1969.
- Folder 5 -. Letters asking for Nominations - Letters with professional information for nominated
- Series: IV Meeting Notes of Trustees
- Folder 1 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1939-1940.
- Folder 2 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1962-1963. (8 items)
- Folder 3 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1964. (8 items)
- Folder 4 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1965. (9 items)
- Folder 5 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1966. (12 items)
- Folder 6 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1967. (15 items)
- Folder 7 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1968. (12 items)
- Folder 8 -. Meeting Notes of Trustees, 1969-1970. (16 items)
- Series: V: MHS - General
- Folder 1 -. Financial Reports 1939, 1963-1969.
- Folder 2 -. Fund Raising Study, 1969.
- Folder 3 -. Agenda of Annual Meeting, 1970.
- Folder 4 -. Library Committee Report to Trustees, 1970.
- Folder 5 -. Strategic Plan, 1986-1988.
- Folder 6 -. MHS Development of Peters Hill, September 1988. Folded Master and Site Plan (2) by
Morgan Wheelock Corp.
- Folder 7 -. MHS Development of Peters Hill, 1989. (1 letter, 1 meeting notes)
- Folder 8 -. MHS Sale of Books, 2002. (1 email, 1 memo, 1 business plan)