United States Department of Agriculture. Records of Soil Surveys, 1978-1984: A Finding
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: IV B-1
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Creator: United States Department of Agriculture
Title: Records of Soil Surveys, 1978-1984
Quantity: 0.33 linear feet (2 boxes)
These records were accessioned into HOLLIS # 009118556 and this file name is ajp00013.
Processed: February 2003
By:Jessica M. Parr
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
The soil surveys in this collection were completed by the United States Department of Agriculture Soil Conservation Service between 1978 and 1984, in cooperation with the Massachusetts Agriculture Experiment Station. The surveys are comprised of reports and maps detailing the condition and agricultural
viability of the soil in Bristol and Essex counties, as well as for the Arnold Arboretum.
The series are arranged alphabetically by county.
This collection is arranged into the following series: I. Arnold Arboretum Survey
Report and Maps; and II. County Survey Reports and Maps.
Included are surveys for Bristol and Essex counties and the Arnold Arboretum of Jamaica
Plain, Massachusetts. Also included are sixteen sectional survey maps for the southern
part of Essex County, Massachusetts and a survey map for the Arnold Arboretum.
Current version of this finding aid is available at the Archives of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University.
- Series: I. Arnold Arboretum Survey Report and Maps
- Folder 1. Soil Survey Report for the Arnold Arboretum 8-84-TAP [Suffolk County] Includes note from Tom Peragallo to Sheila Connor
- Folder 2. Arnold Arboretum . Detailed Soil Map, T. A. Peragallo, 1984. See also: electronic
version of the map in the Curation Office, or via Volo View.
- Series: II. Survey Reports and maps
- Folder 3. Soil Survey of Bristol County, MA, Northern Part, 1978
- Folder 4. Soil Survey of Bristol County, MA, Southern Part, 1981
- Folder 5. Soil Survey of Essex County, MA, Northern Part, 1981
- Folder 6. Soil Survey of Essex County, MA, Southern Part, 1984
- Folder 7. Map, Essex County, Southern Part, Sheets 1-8
- Folder 8. Map, Essex County, Southern Part, Sheets 9-16