Sutton, S. B. (Silvia Barry), 1940-1997. Papers of Stephanne (Silvia Barry) Sutton,
1965-1968 (inclusive): A Finding Aid.
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: II A-5.
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Title: Sutton, S. B. (Silvia Barry), 1940-1997. Papers of Stephanne (Silvia Barry) Sutton,
Quantity: 4 boxes
Abstract: The Stephanne (Silvia) Barry Sutton papers reflect the years from 1965-1968 and primarily
focus on the working notes and papers for Sutton's biography of Charles S. Sargent.
The collection is maintained in the order created by Stephanne Sutton and obtained
during her tenure.
With the exception of two files on her work on Joseph Rock (1972-1994) which were
acquired by the Arboretum's archives from her long-time friend and literary executor,
Phyllis Anderson in January 2000, the Sutton papers reflect the years from 1965-1968,
her tenure at the Arboretum, and are maintained in the order she created. (Confidential
file: For biographical reference, inserted in the collection is Sutton's personnel
folder from the administration files of Arboretum director Dr. Richard A. Howard 1954-1978.).
This collection was transferred from the Arnold Arboretum's departmental holdings
to the Arboretum's Archives in 1984.
Processed: September 1998
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
Stephanne (Silvia) Barry Sutton was the author of a biography of the Arnold Arboretum's first director,Charles Sprague Sargent, and of the noted plant explorer, Joseph Rock, who had a long affiliation with the Arboretum. A writer of fiction as well as biography
and history, Ms. Sutton was on the staff of the Arboretum from 1963 to 1974.
Born in Ohio in 1940, Sutton graduated from Wells College. After a brief stint at
the United Nations in New York, she joined the Arboretum staff as an assistant to
the director, Richard Howard. At Howard's request she wrote Charles Sprague Sargent and the Arnold Arboretum (Harvard University Press, 1970) in honor of the centennial of the Arboretum. She
also wrote The Arnold Arboretum: the First Century, with a forward by Walter Muir Whitehill (Arnold Arboretum, 1971). As an Honorary Research
Fellow of the Arboretum she researched the life and work of Joseph Rock which culminated
in her book, In China's Border Provinces: the Turbulent Career of Joseph Rock, Botanist-Explorer
(Hastings House, 1974).
Stephanne Sutton went on to write a history of Cambridge: Cambridge Reconsidered: 3 ½ Centuries on the Charles (M.I.T. Press, 1976). She wrote two institutional histories: The Massachusetts General Hospital, 1955-1980 (Little, Brown, 1983) and Crossroads in Psychiatry: A History of the McLean Hospital (American Psychiatric Association, 1986).
Her first novel, The Day the Televisions Stopped was published by Knopf in 1992. She died of cancer in 1997.
The collection is maintained in the order created by Stephanne Sutton.
During her eleven year career at the Arnold Arboretum, Stephanne Sutton held several titles, including Business Secretary from 1963-1964,
Research Fellow from 1965-1967, Archivist in 1967-1969, and Honorary Research Fellow
from 1970-1974. While Arboretum director Richard A. Howard was preparing for the upcoming
centennial, he and Ms. Sutton decided to produce a biography of Charles S. Sargent.
At that time, Sutton was appointed research fellow to write the book.
This collection consists of four archival boxes that span the years from 1965-1968,
which primarily reflect Sutton's research for Sargent's biography. Included in the
correspondence, 1965-1968, are letters on topics such as Sargent and Olmsted's "Boston
Scheme," metropolitan parks, Wilson's expeditions, Sargent biographical material,
and Arboretum institutional history. Sutton did extensive research in gathering material
from primary sources, such as her letters to Katherine Bunker, who was secretary to
Sargent and Wilson. In 1966 Ms. Sutton traveled to England to consult letters from
Charles Sargent in the files of Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew, the British Museum
of Natural History, and at the Library of the Royal Horticultural Society. Her research
resulted in many photocopies of Sargent's letters from institutions and individuals
that have strengthened the historical correspondence collection of the Arnold Arboretum.
In addition to correspondence, the files include detailed notes on city parks, pre
1912 letters, Boston and the Arnold Arboretum, Kew Gardens of London, history of science,
and the hurricane of 1938. There are a few letters that address institutional business
that she answered as the Arboretum archivist. One box in the collection is devoted
to drafts of the Sargent book from chapter 1-12.
The following are common variations on J. F. Rock and Stephanne Sutton's names:
Current version of this finding aid is available at the Archives of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. Additional Stephanne (Silvia Barry) Sutton correspondence can be found by searching
the Arnold Arboretum Correspondence Index.
- Box 1
- File 1 -Saturday Club, Charles S. Sargent (CSS), Frederick Law Olmsted (FLO), Leech on McKinley
- File 2 -, Domestic 1969-1970: S. B. Sutton correspondence
- File 3 -, Domestic 1965: S. B. Sutton correspondence
- File 4 -Arboretum History: Richard A. Howard correspondence of C. S. Sargent letters search
- File 5 -, New Yorker, Dec. 10, 1966, pp. 149-70 Notes on Sargent's Silva of North America
Date: Dec. 10, 1966,
- File 6 -Articles on Arnold Arboretum
- File 7 -Books: Gen. notes of secondary sources (Veitch, Pinchot, C. S. Sargent)
- File 8 -Sargent Index: manuscript
- File 9 -Manuscript, plant lists, centennial ideas
- File 10 -Answers to queries
- File 11 -, Domestic 1967: S. B. Sutton correspondence
- File 12 -Permissions and Related Info (to quote letters)
- File 13 -, City Parks 1967
- File 14 -, Notes on letters pre 1912
- File 15 -, Correspondence: January 1966-February 1966
- File 16 -, Domestic Correspondence: March 1966 - December 1966
- Box 2
- File 1 -Sutton, Stephanne B. Reviews
- File 2 -General Biographical Notes:
including Hunnewell, H. W. Sargent, Misc. -Ewan, John Singer Sargent
- File 3 -Arnold Arboretum Sargent
- File 4 -From C. S. Sargent, misc. unbound, DuPont, Eastwood, Lemmon, Morris Arboretum
- File 7 -, Arnold Arboretum and City of Boston; including letters from C. S. Sargent: Letters
to Pringle, 1876-1879
- File 8 -Notes on letters in Gray file
- File 9 -S. Sutton - New Book Project
- File 10 -Articles for Publication: Book Review
- File 11 -UK Correspondence - Foreign
- File 13 -Arnold Arboretum - Staff Memos
- File 14 -, Smithsonian: Letters to and from C. S.Sargent (CSS), Rose, [Vagey] 1893
- File 15 -Progress Reports to Richard A. Howard
- File 16 -Mail and Misc. Notes Pending
- File 18 -Periodical Literature
Notes from Bot. Gaz., Gard. Chron., Transcript
- File 19 -Biographic Chart
- File 20 -Misc. Manuscript/Probably by Trelease on Bot. Gardens, with references to Arnold Arboretum
- File 21 -Memo for Dr. E. D. Merrill
- File 22 -Material for Typing
- File 23 -, Domestic 1968
- File 24 -Misc. Notes : esp. C. S. Sargent Family
- File 25 -Misc. Notes: For Sargent Biography
- File 26 -C. S. Sargent, Personal
- File 28 -Personal Interviews
- File 29 -, Post 1912 - To C. S. Sargent
Date: 1912 -
- File 30 -Miscellaneous Notes
- File 31 -Dr. Woods Taxonomy Class
- File 32 -, Post 1960 - Arnold Arboretum (AA)
Date: 1960 -
- File 33 -History of Science
- File 34 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter I
- File 35 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter II
- File 36 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter III
- File 37 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter IV
- File 38 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter V
- File 39 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter VI
- File 40 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter VII
- File 41 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter VIII
- File 42 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter VIII, different version
- File 43 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter IX
- Box 3
- File 1 -Misc., Draft 1, Chapter X
- File 2 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter XI
- File 3 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter XII
- File 4 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter XIII
- File 5 -Misc., draft 1 Chapter XIV
- File 6 -Part II, Chapter X, Wilson at Arnold Arboretum (AA)
- File 7 -Chapter VI Introduction
- File 8 -Chapter VII - X Silva Intro
- File 9 -Chapter I Birth and Family
- File 10 -Chapter II Harvard 1872
- File 11 -Chapter III Arboretum beginnings
- File 12 -Chapter IV Census background
- File 13 -Chapter V Jesup Collection
- File 14 -Part II - Chapter VIII Intro. to Orient
- File 15 -Part III - Chapter XII Arboretum
- File 16 -Part II - Chapter IX Intro.
- File 17 -Part III - Chapter XI Crataegus, Intro.
- File 19 -Part III - Chapter XII , Arnold Arboretum ca. 1900 planting arrangements
A portion of S. B. Sutton's notes and correspondence relating to the Jesup Wood Collection
is filed in Arnold Arboretum archives under VI JC "Jesup Wood Collection." this material
was the basis for several pages of Sutton's book on Sargent - chapter titled "In Nation's
- Box 4
- File 1 -Notes made by S. B. Sutton
- File 2 -Davenport, Mrs. Natalie Potter
- File 3 -Batchelder, Katherine Abbott
- File 4 -Correspondence regarding donations
- File 5 -Correspondence: Sargent
- File 6 -Correspondence: Moodly, Ambert G. To Sargent
- File 7 -Correspondence: Nuts
- File 8 -Envelope sent by Steve Spongberg from Japan 1977
- File 9 -The Endemic Flora of Tasmania - An Exhibition of Watercolors
- File 10 -Merrill Administration
- File 11 -Notes on Plants in Collections
- File 12 -Correspondence: Merrill
- File 14 -Correspondence: Wagenknecht - Buxus
- File 15 -Correspondence: Wagenknecht - Christmas plants
- File 17 -Misc. Correspondence
- File 18Publishers Rock (1972-1973) : Acquired Jan, 2000
- File 19J. F. Rock, 1991 : Acquired Jan, 2000
- File 20Harald Beckman paper : "Nazi Studies in China:" Acquired Jan, 2000
- File 21Publicity Photographs (1972) : Acquired Jan, 2000
- File 22Bernard Harkness pamphlet : Excerpts, Letters of Charles Sprague Sargent to Rochester
Inscribed to Silvia Barry Sutton
- File 23S. B. Sutton book: Cambridge Reconsidered
- Barry, Silvia
- Rock, J. F. C.
- Rock, Joseph Francis Charles
- Rock, Joseph
- Sutton, Silvia B.
- Sutton, Stephanne (Silvia Barry)