Evans, Jean. Jean Evans ELLI typeface design materials, 1979-1993: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: TypTS 970.90.374
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Evans, Jean.
Title: Jean Evans ELLI typeface design materials,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.4 linear feet)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence, drawings, and other materials tracing the development of the ELLI
typeface designed by the American type designer Jean Evans and commissioned by the
Houghton Library, Department of Printing and Graphic Arts, to honor Eleanor M. Garvey.
92H-155. Received: 1992 May.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material. Collection is open
Jean Evans ELLI Typeface Design Materials, 1979-1993 (TypTS 970.90.374). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Jean Evans is a freelance type designer and artist bookmaker in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Archive composed of about 300 drawings, orthofilm, paste-ups, computer printouts,
first digitizations, and correspondence in the development of ELLI, a digitized typeface
designed by Jean Evans, commissioned in 1989 by Houghton Library, to honor Eleanor
M. Garvey, curator of Printing and Graphic Arts. The ELLI script is based on Garvey's
handwriting, and upon her retirement in 1991, the Library presented Elli Garvey with
her own typeface for her private use. The typeface was later adapted for general use.
- (1). 5 Xerox Experiments: Reproduced in Scriptura (1979)
- (2). 21 Trial Drawings, Xeroxes and Paste-Ups of Letterforms, Mostly Lower Case (Fall 1990, February 1990)
- (3). 44 Trial Drawings and Xeroxes, Mostly Experiments with Word 'Verbsgohumant' - Including Small Scraps
- (4). 6 Paste-Ups, Drawings, Xeroxes of Written Character Trials (Fall 1990)
- (5). 35 Written Trials of Letterforms. Xeroxes and Drawings (Mostly Lower Case, Some Capitals) January 2, 1991 (Directions About Procedure) (Dec.
1990 Through March 1991)
- (6). 17 Written Trials for Capitals: Drawings, Paste-Ups, Xeroxes-Using Characters Drawn in 1984 for Stanford Atypi Conference
- (7). 21 Drawings and/or Groups of Drawings, Final Contenders for Various Letterforms (April 1991)
- (8). 9 Groups of Clipped Together Pages Showing Various Pointsizes and Lettertypes Laid
out in Text (June Through July 1991)
- (9). 26 Pages and/or Groups of Clipped Pages of Xeroxes, Drawings and Ortho Film--First Proofs :(July 25, 1991) Second Refinements and New Characters,
- (10). 28 Pages and/or Groups of Pages--Mostly Lower Case Character Changes and Development--Drawings,
Orthofilm, Xeroxes, Paste-Ups and Computer Print Outs Including 3 Photostats of 1st
Lino (New Scans) (October and November 1991)
- (11). 27 Pages and/or Groups of Pages of Computer Printouts; Versions of Text and Point
Tests Including Quark Tests. (October and November 1991, January 1992)
- (12). First Digitization of Lower Case
- (13). First Digitization of Capitals
- (14). First Digitization of Figures and Puctuations
- (15). First Digitization of Accents and Ligatures
- (16). Miscellaneous (Correspondence, Experiments) 5 Pages and/or Groups of Pages
- (17). Layout of Exhibit in Cases, (March 1992) Elements not Used, Etc.
- (18). Jean Evans Exhibition -- "Calligraphy Into Type" Labels and Exhibition Contents
- (19). Release Announcements of the Typeface by Fontbureau and by Jean Evans