MS Am 2557
Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874, collector. William Inglis Morse collection of manuscripts,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2557
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Morse, William Inglis, b. 1874, collector.
Title: William Inglis Morse collection of manuscripts,
Quantity: 1 collection (.25 linear feet (1 volume in 1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English and French.
Abstract: An eclectic group of manuscripts concerning Canada and other subjects, assembled by
philanthropist and Canadiana collector, William Inglis Morse.
47M-274F, 47M-275F, 47M-276F, 47M-277F, 47M-278F, and 47M-279F. Gift of William Inglis Morse, 17 Fresh Pond Parkway, Cambridge, Massachusetts; received: 1948 May 21.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
William Inglis Morse Collection of Manuscripts, 1768-1841 (MS Am 2557). Houghton Library,
William Inglis Morse (1874-1952) was an author, historian, minister, collector of
Canadiana, and philanthropist. In 1943, Morse was appointed Honorary Curator of Canadian
Literature and History at Harvard University where he donated a major collection of
Arranged alphabetically by author.
Includes: estate papers of Robert Cowie (d.1779) of Halifax, Nova Scotia; letters
from Edward Augustus Duke of Kent to General John Money; document concerning marsh
lands in Granville, Nova Scotia; and other papers.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- (1). Cowie, Robert, d.1779. Collection of documents from the estate of Robert Cowie : manuscript documents; Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1780-1781. 3 items in 1 folder.
Cowie died 1779 May 1. Administrator of estate was John Butler.
- (2). Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent, 1767-1820. Five autograph manuscript letters to General John Money; Kensington Palace and Windsor Palace, 1810-1815. 1 folders
- (3). Granville (N.S.) To His Excellency Sir John Coape Sherbrooke K.G.C. Lieutenant Governor and Commander
in Chief ... The petition of the subscribers proprietors of marsh lands within the
Township of Granville in the County of Annapolis ... : manuscript transcript, undated. 1 folders
- (4). Kelly, William. Three autograph manuscript letters to Marquis George Townshend Townshend (1724-1807); London, 1770-1772. 1 folders
Concerns land grants in the Bahamas and in North America.
- (5). Murray, James, 1721-1794. Bank draft to George Ross : autograph (signed); Portman Square, London, 1768 January 19. 1 folders
Draft signed over to Brook Watson on verso.
- (6). Tromblay, Augustin. Pardevant les notaires publics pour la province du Bas Canada... : manuscript; Mantonville, Quebec, 1841 April 7. 1 folders
Signed A. Paré [notary].