Agassiz, Elizabeth Cabot Cary, 1822-1907. Papers of Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz,
1838-1920 (inclusive), 1838-1908 (bulk): A Finding Aid
Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America
The Patty Trustman Gelfman Collection on the History of Radcliffe College
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
© 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: A-3
Repository: Radcliffe College Archives, Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute
Creator: Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz, 1822-1907
Title: Papers, 1838-1920 (inclusive), 1838-1908 (bulk)
Quantity: 1.25 linear feet (3 file boxes) plus 1 supersize folder
Language of materials: Materials in English.
Abstract: Diaries, correspondence, etc., of Elizabeth Cary Agassiz, educator and researcher.
Accession number: 51-79
Gift of the estate of Lucy Paton. Received: November, 1951.
Access. Collection is open for research.
Copyright. Copyright in the papers created by Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz as well
as copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the
authors' heirs or assigns.
Copying. Papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures.
Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz Papers, 1838-1920; item description, dates. Collection
#, folder #. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute,
Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
There is related material at the Schlesinger Library; see Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz
Papers, 1884-1959 (SC 4)
and and Elizabeth Cabot Cary Agassiz Papers, 1879-1978 (SC 99)
Elizabeth Cary Agassiz, educator, was born into an upper class Boston family. She
married the Swiss naturalist Louis Agassiz in 1850. She reared his three children
and traveled extensively with him. From 1855-1859, she ran the Agassiz school for
girls, and in 1879, having been widowed in 1873, she became one of the seven Lady
Managers of the Society for the Private Collegiate Instruction for Women (Harvard
Annex).Elizabeth Cary Agassiz became the first President of the Society in 1882, and
of Radcliffe College on its incorporation in 1894. Elizabeth Cary Agassiz resigned
in 1900, and served as Honorary President until 1903. By her tact and her fund-raising
abilities, she nurtured the college and insured its continuity.
Letters, diaries, 1877-1906, and other
personal papers of Elizabeth Cary Agassiz, wife of Louis Agassiz, President of Radcliffe
including family letters of other Cary relatives. These papers were used by Miss Lucy
biographer of Mrs. Agassiz, and include additional material acquired about Mrs. Agassiz
relatives, reviews of the biography, and letters of commendation.
The following catalog entries represent persons, organizations, and topics documented
in this collection.
An entry for each appears in the Harvard On Line Library Information System (HOLLIS)
and other automated bibliographic
databases. THIS IS NOT AN INDEX.
Agassiz, Alexander, 1835-1910
Agassiz, Louis, 1807-1873
Anderson School of Natural History
Cambridge (Mass.)--Social life and customs
Europe--Description and travel
Fields, Annie, 1834-1915
Jewett, Sarah Orne, 1849-1909
Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882
Perkins Institution and Massachusetts School for the Blind
Ravenel, Harriott Horry, 1832-1912
Sand, George, 1804-1876
Stowe, Harriet Beecher, 1811-1896
Voyages and travels--Anecdotes
World's Columbian Exposition (1893 : Chicago, Ill.)
- Box 1: 1 vol.-18vol.
- Boxes 2-3: 1-39
- 1 vol.-18 vol. Diaries, January 1, 1877-February 14,
1880, 1892-December 30, 1906.
- 1. Papers. Family letters, 1838-1870. 23 items.
- 2. Papers. Family letters, undated. 15 items.
- 3. Papers. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. Miscellaneous letters, undated.
- 4. Papers. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. "Beauty and the Beast" a play.
- 5. Papers. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. Notebook of poems. n.d. Manuscripts.
- 6. Papers, 1840 Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Autograph letters, signed to Doctor S[amuel] Cabot.
- 7. Papers, 1842 Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Translation of ? with Ellen in 1842.
- 8. Papers, 1847
G. Jr. T.c. Diary 1847 about the Theatricals.
- 9. Papers, 1849-1850 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. Autograph letters, signed to Louis Agassiz. 10 items.
- 10. Papers, 1851-1852 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. Autograph letters, signed. Letters from South Carolina, Washington, New Orleans,
etc. 1851/1852. 13 items. See digital image.
- 11. Papers, 1854-1857
Pauline Agassiz. Autograph letters, signed to Sarah Cary. 9 items.
- 12. Papers, 1857ca. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Autograph letters, signed to Mrs. Cary, Sally and Emma. 8 items.
- 13. Papers, 1859 Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Autograph letters, signed. Letters from Europe. 4 items. See digital image.
- 14. Papers, 1865 Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Autograph letters, signed. Letters from Brazil. 6 items.See digital image.
- 15. Papers, 1865/1867 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. Autograph letters, signed. Letters from Brazil. 21 items. See digital image.
- 17. Papers, 1867/1868 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. Autograph letters, signed. Letters to Mrs. Cary, Sally and Emma while they were
in Europe. See digital image.
- 18. Papers, 1870ca. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Autograph letters, signed. Letters from Deerfield, Massachusetts and the White
Mountains, New Hampshire. 6 items. See digital image.
- 19. Papers, 1871-1872 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. Autograph letters, signed. "Hassler" letters. 27 items.
- 20. Papers, 1873-1876 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. Autograph letters, signed. 4 items.
- 21. Papers, 1873-1875 Papers relating to the
Anderson School of Natural Science at Penikese Island, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts.
- 22. Papers, 1893
W. Typed letter to Elizabeth Cary Agassiz
- 23. Papers, 1894-1895 Agassiz, Elizabeth
Cary. Autograph letters, signed. Letters from Europe. 50 items.
- 24. Papers,  Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary.
Notebook, draft letters and addresses re: Radcliffe College.
- 25. Papers, n.d. Miscellaneous letters to Elizabeth Cary Agassiz [1890-?] 9 items.
- 26. Papers, 1864-1907 Miscellaneous letters
to Elizabeth Cary Agassiz. 21 items. Includes 2 photos of 1903 comet.
- 27. Papers, 1899-1904 Laporte, M. Autograph letters, signed to
Elizabeth Cary Agassiz. 7 items.
- 28. Papers, 1903 Autograph letters, signed to Elizabeth Cary Agassiz. from the
Swiss relatives of Louis Agassiz. 4 items.
- 29. Papers, 1903-1905
Cecile Autograph letters, signed to Elizabeth Cary Agassiz. 3 items.
- 30. Papers, 1892-1907 Autograph letters, signed from grand
- 31. Papers, 1893-1904 Papers relating to the
Perkins Institute - Kindergarten for the Blind.
- 32. Papers, n.d. Papers relating to Louis Agassiz.
- 33. Papers, 1907 Papers relating to Louis
Agassiz's centennial appreciation of his life and work.
- 34. Papers.
Photographs of Elizabeth Cary
Agassiz, Louis Agassiz, Cary Cottage.
FILED WITH PHOTOGRAPHS.
- 35. Papers. Agassiz, Elizabeth Cary. MSS on the Cary family; also
miscellaneous letters connected with the Cary and Perkins families.
- 36. Papers. P1 Miscellaneous material acquired by Miss Paton. 1907-1921.
- 37. Papers. P2 Letters of appreciation to Miss Paton for her
- 38. Papers. P3 Book reviews of Biography of Mrs. Agassiz.
- 39. Papers. S1 Sand, George. Letters to Mme. Th. Blanc, pages79-94.
- Supersize folder: A tribute to Mrs. Louis
Agassiz for her exhibit "Lessons in Natural History" at the World's Columbian